Friday, March 17, 2017

Toyota MP3 Audio System Fail

I learned something important last week.  My 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser does not recognize folder/directory names, on USB media, that contain hyphens.

I listen to audiobooks while driving to a 4x4 trail or a hiking trailhead.  As I normally do, I had copied a few audiobooks to a USB flash drive to use in the car.  One of those audiobooks was a set of MP3 files in a folder that contained a hyphen in the folder name.  The car didn't recognize that folder and never let me play that audiobook.

After returning home at the end of the day, I edited the folder name for that audiobook by simply removing the hyphen.  After reinserting the USB flash drive into the car, it then recognized the missing folder and its contents.

Interesting.  It makes me wonder what other characters are not recognized.  The manuals are not helpful in this area.

No comments: