Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Wilco Off-Road Gear at Overland Expo

I saw a nice piece of kit at the Overland Expo.  Wilco Off-Road was displaying a new slimmed-down spare tire carrier.  I apologize for my photos.  They didn't turn out as well as I hoped.  



This one is called the Hitchgate Solo.  Like the old Hitchgate carrier, this one mounts to your standard hitch receiver.  Here's the web page for it on their online store.  The new product is smaller and lighter, but can still carry a full sized spare with adjustable mounting lugs.  A mounting plate on the back side looks like it can support extra gear such as a Rotopax can or a Hi-Lift jack.  If this position blocks your rear license plate then they sell a relocation kit that lets you stay legal.



I bring two spare tires when I go off-roading in remote places, such as Toroweap, the Arizona Stip, Death Valley, and some areas of southern California.  I've designed my own hitch-mounted spare tire carrier for the LR4 that positions the tire on the right side, taking advantage of the asymmetric design of the LR4 rear end.  This avoids needing to relocate the license plate and lamp.  If I buy a Land Cruiser then I'll want one that's centered like the Wilco design, so I may buy one of these.

No comments: