Sunday, March 20, 2016

Tower Records

I recently watched the documentary "All Things Must Pass" about Tower Records; how it started, grew and collapsed.

I miss Tower Records.  I spent a lot of time there.  That was during the CD/DVD years, not during the vinyl years.  Tower was one store where I had to have at least an hour free or else I wouldn't go inside.  Because once I was inside I would lose track of time.  I'd just get lost in the racks.  It was a way to relax.  To forget my problems and focus on something I enjoy: music and movies.  When the last one near me closed, I went there several times with a friend to buy up discounted inventory.

I really enjoyed All Things Must Pass.  If you liked Tower Records, then you'll also enjoy this movie.  They've got interviews with the founders and early employees as well as famous people who've had a relationship with the store, including David Geffen, Elton John, and Bruce Springsteen.

Here's the IMDB page for the movie, and here's the official page.

"I spent more money in Tower Records than any other human being."  -Elton John

No comments: