Thursday, December 03, 2015

Ready Player One

One year ago I posted about a book I'd read and really enjoyed: The Martian.  The film adaptation was under deveopment by a famous director and went on to be a blockbuster hit.  Today I recommend another book that is similarly being adapted to film by a famous director.  I predict this one will also be a big hit.

Ready Player One is set in the year 2045 and life is bleak for most people after society has deteriorated due to global exhaustion of natural resources.  Most people spend their lives online in the OASIS, a virtual reality environment with thousands of worlds.  The OASIS has permeated society so thorougly that most businesses operate in the OASIS.  Wade Watt attends virtual high school in the OASIS.  He spends all his spare time trying to find an easter egg hidden by the OASIS creator.  So are thousands of other people.  The one who finds the egg will inherit control of the OASIS and a vast fortune.  After years of fruitless searching by so many people, popular interest in the global hunt dwindled.  Then Wade was the first person to solve the first puzzle and find the first key.  His life was changed forever after that.

The film version is already under development for a 2017 release and will be directed by none other than Steven Spielberg.

I listened to the audiobook, read by Wil Wheaton.  Oddly, Wil Wheaton is actually in the story, described as an old geezer running in the online elections for OASIS governance.

I really enjoyed this book.  I'm not a gamer, but I do recognize most of the 80's era video games and cultural references.  I'll probably listen to this audiobook several more times.

No comments: