Sunday, April 26, 2015

The LR4 Plays Video

I discovered that my new car plays video.  It plays DVDs and also plays video files stored on USB media.  This is the first car I've owned that does this.


As you can see in these photos, it will play a DVD in either a small window, or full screen.


Only a few video files were recognized on my USB flash drive.  I tried several video files (mpeg4, mpeg4/h.264, avi, divx) and it only recognized the .avi and .divx files.  The AVI container files had DiVX encoded video.

After a little testing, I discovered that it only recognizes files below some max size.  I haven't found that size limit, but files less than 60 MB played, while files larger than 260 MB failed with a read error.  Video doesn't play while the car is moving, but the audio continues.  There's probably more things that I haven't discovered about this feature.  I barely did a couple tests.

This isn't a valuable feature for me.  When I'm on the road, I watch videos I've loaded onto my iPad.  I'd rather drain its battery than the car's.  Plus the screen is bigger.

No comments: