Thursday, March 12, 2015

Other Car Care Products

While I'm on the topic of preparing my new LR4, I'll mention a few other car care products that I'm using.  They may not be the best in their field, but they work fine for me.

303 Fabric Guard
I'm trying 303 Fabric Guard on the carpeting.  I've never used it before, but I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant for many years.  I want to add some protection from dirt and stains that have always appeared in the carpets around the border of my rubber mud floor mats.  This product takes 6-12 hours to dry, and I applied 2 coats as the instructions suggested.  

The instructions also include some interesting warnings.  It's very flammable and you need to keep it away from flames, sparks, and heat.  The vapors are harmful and you should avoid breathing them.  Wear protective gloves and do not get the product on your skin.  Do not use on vinyl, plastic, rubber... Protect those areas from overspray and wipe up any overspray immediately.

The product went on easily with no problems and I noticed no unpleasant odors or staining on nearby surfaces.  There's plenty of plastic bits around the carpeting of my LR4, so I just wiped them off immediately with a clean microfiber cloth.

Wheel Wax
I've used Wheel Wax for years and it works very well.  Unfortunately, it's harder to wax my new wheels because they have a lot of nooks and they are black.  The additional surface features in the wheel are an obvious factor that makes waxing take longer.  The black color had a surprising effect.  The black color is not forgiving when you're buffing off the wax.  Unlike a silver colored wheel, you can clearly see every tiny bit of wax that you failed to buff off.  I considered returning to using the Armor All Wheel Protectant product, but learned from googling that it leaves a residue that is visible on black wheels.  So, Wheel Wax it is.

No comments: