Saturday, March 28, 2015

Land Rover ECO Mode (aka Stop/Start)

The 2015 LR4 has a Start/Stop feature.  They call it ECO mode.  You can turn it off any time you like by simply pressing the ECO button (I circled it in blue below).


When you press that button, a light on the dash tells you that the ECO mode is disabled. 


Then the amber light remains lit while you drive.   It's an annoying nanny light.  I'm surprised they didn't have it sound a loud klaxon too.


ECO mode will turn back on the next time you start the car.  Luckily, I read somewhere that it is automatically disabled when you are in any "terrain mode" other than normal driving.  That's good.  (Although I can't locate where I saw that tidbit.)

Two things I don't like about it are (according to the video on the DVD that came with the car): (1) when the driver's seatbelt is unfastened and the car is in park, the engine shuts off, and (2) when the driver's seatbelt is unfastened and the brake pedal are released, then it shuts off.  Maybe I'll get used to it.  But I can't help wonder how the battery and starter can handle the added load.  Heck, right now with the car in the garage doing nothing, it gives me a warning light every other day saying "Low Battery, Start Engine".  This does not give me confidence in the battery's capability.  So I'd prefer to keep the engine running, thank you.

To be honest, I don't like this feature in this car.  Here's my summary comment: Seriously?  In a 3 ton SUV?  It's not as if this feature is giving me 25% fuel savings.

No comments: