Sunday, March 22, 2015

C1 / EXOv2 Tips

Before I get around to sharing my mistakes (actually I need to find some good lighting so the photos will show the C1 residue I failed to remove), I thought I'd share a few tips for anybody who is considering using the Gtechniq C1 and EXOv2 products.

  • The 10 to 60 seconds time frame for removing the C1 residue is accurate.  A few times I waited too long and you can really feel the resistance on the microfiber cloth as  you pass it over the spot.  I had to buff hard to remove the visible residue.  I then figured that I'd just removed the C1, so I reapplied in that area.
  • Folding the microfiber cloths into quarters (as described by the Gtechniq instructions) is a very handy way to avoid re-using a section of cloth that has C1 residue in it (and is curing into crystals).  You don't have to wonder or guess.  You simply progress through the squares - using the 8 quarter faces of the cloth.  I chose to flip the mf often.  I've got loads of mf cloths.
  • It was easy to spot when I accidentally put C1 on top of EXO.  I was applying C1 along the top of the doors, and it became very slippery.  Realizing what I'd done, I just continued with the C1 and later added EXO on top of that.  I hope there aren't any lasting effects from that mistake.  I learned that I need to keep better track of what I've treated, with what products.
  • It is very helpful to buy the larger EXOv2 bottle (50 ml).  You need more in order to apply 2 coats.  You can apply EXO to more surfaces; I applied it to the black plastic trim pieces after the nice people at Gtechniq told me that this will work fine.
  • Bright diffuse lighting is VERY VERY important.  When the garage door was partially open, the bright light coming from that area was great at illuminating many mistakes I had made and not yet caught.  If I had better lighting then I surely would have made far fewer mistakes.
  • When it's warm, you need to apply EXO to smaller areas.  Otherwise the EXO product will appear to disappear while you're still covering the larger area, and then it's harder to remove the residue.  It's fine to use smaller areas, even if you overlap them a bit, there's no negative consequences.
  • If you apply EXO to your black plastic trim bits, then it helps to use a different applicator pad.  On my car, the black plastic trim has a surprising amount of rough edges and that caused damage (rips and tears) to the applicator pad.  This is a big difference from the normal smooth body panels.  Also, much of my plastic trim has a fine surface texture that seemed to retain dirt, even after I carefully cleaned it.  This visibly contaminates the applicator pad.  I was glad for my decision to use the small cotton Gtechniq pads for the plastic trim.

No comments: