Sunday, September 22, 2013

Zion


I've been to Zion NP twice since my last post.  I really like that place.  I don't hike the established trails, but instead hike the backcountry on the east side of the park.  


Lately, I haven't been taking long hikes.  I've been exploring areas off Highway 9 that I'd been ignoring.  For example, the area south of Jug Handle Arch, the saddle north of South Ariel Peak, the rocks NW of Cockeye Falls.  All of them had plenty of footprints and even cairns.   


The hiking was great.  It was fairly warm (98F) on this trip, but not as hot as the previous one (110F).    It cooled off each evening to the 70s with light rain almost every night.  It was fun sitting on the balcony of my hotel room in the early evenings watching the bats dine on insects in the air.


On this trip I noticed a couple things that were new to me.  First, I saw quite a few people taking photos with iPads.  That just seemed so odd to me.  My iPad photos are crap compared to the ones taken by my camera.  But, oh well.  It was interesting.  Also, I saw about a half dozen cars each day with a GoPro camera mounted to the exterior.  I'm sure they recorded amazing videos as they drove along Highway 9 on the east side of the park.  It's also safer, since the driver can then focus on the road, and let the GoPro do the videography work.

After my knees started hurting on the third day, I decided to relax by walking through the Watchman Campground.  They did some refurbishment there in the past year or so and I was interested to see what was new.  I was pleased to see that they have built new restrooms.  They're quite nice.  Very nice.  Heck, I might reserve a site and camp there on my next trip.

No comments: