Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Big Horn Sheep at Zion


I stumbled upon a large group of bighorn sheep while hiking a few weeks ago in Zion NP.  I was in the saddle just east of Lost Peak, heading toward the south ridge.   As you can see in the photos, they retreated to the base of the east face on Lost Peak.

Something rare happened while on that hike.  On my return I saw fresh footprints left by somebody who followed me toward Lost Peak.  I never saw the other hiker.  It's very rare to encounter other hikers in that area.  You might see others on Progeny Peak, but I was hiking around Lost Peak and Nippletop that day and those places don't get many visitors.



The next two shots show their location on the slopes of Lost Peak.



Then I took one last parting shot before continuing my hike.


Here's a gratuitous shot of Lost Peak, taken from the slickrock bowl as you approach from the highway.  I like that bowl.  It's a nice place to rest, have a snack, and enjoy the scenery.


No comments: