Thursday, September 13, 2012

Backroads of Utah


As always, I tried to take some new roads on my return from Utah.  This time I left the interstate at St. George and headed NW past Santa Clara.  I drove Motoqua Road, Indian Springs Trail, and Eardley Road.  There are more trails in that area, but I didn't know how much time I'd spend on Mormon Mesa later in the day.



All three of these are graded dirt roads and signed as BLM routes.  They were more fun to drive than the interstate.  There were some blind corners on Indian Springs Trail, north of the water tank, that surprised me.  I'm glad I wasn't driving fast, otherwise I would have easily gone off the road and down a steep hill where the road turned abruptly at a crest.  Here's the Indian Springs water tank.


Here's the bottom of Hell Hole Pass through Indian Canyon.  I'll drive that some other day.


I came across this very old car in the gully.  I don't know the story behind it.   Massey didn't mention it in his description.


These are nice easy roads that almost anyone can drive.  The high clearance helped a couple times, but otherwise it was easy.  



No comments: