Sunday, February 12, 2012

Eagle Pass

Recently I drove the Eagle Pass 4wd trail west of Needles, CA.

It was an overcast windy morning, with a high of about 65F. The sun came out around noon. Got lost twice trying to find the start of the trail. I had to consult the google maps satellite images I'd brought with me in order to figure out which tiny dirt road I should turn onto from the pavement.

The trail isn't very difficult. It's mostly a 2. I can see where a few sections might be a 3 after a rain storm. The trail is also well signed with BLM route designation markers.

I did make one wrong turn along the way. There are some areas where drivers have ventured off the main trail and that's resulted in some side trails that have enough wear to be comparable to the main trail. After one such fork in the road, I noticed that all the tire tracks in the trail I was following had ended. The tracks indicated that previous drivers had turned around. My GPS confirmed that I was no longer on the correct trail. I also turned around.

Later, while driving some powerline roads, I found several that are on my maps and look good in the satellite images, but were way too disused to venture over them.

No comments: