Friday, September 23, 2011

Collaboration

I enjoyed reading "Collaboration - How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Create Unity, and Reap Big Results" by Morten Hansen. Unlike many management books, this one isn't another tomb of nice ideas and suggestions. It presents some field-tested approaches and defines what the author names disciplined collaboration, offering actionable direction and advice.

Hansen identifies 4 barriers to collaboration, and offers ways of spotting them in your organization: the not-invented-here barrier, the hoarding barrier, the search barrier, and the transfer barrier. Then he outlines 3 broad levers for attacking these barriers: unify people, cultivate T-shaped management, and build nimble networks.

Because I'm lazy, I won't try to explain the work in more detail. There are already several well written reviews on Amazon.

I will say that I liked a couple points quite a lot. I've personally seen manifestions of the not-invented-here and hoarding barriers. I also think that his T-shaped management approach would go a long way in improving collaboration. He suggests holding people accountable for how well they collaborate using measurable metrics included in their performance reviews and compensation.

I recommend this book.

1 comment:

Joe said...

I wonder if the author is going to keep the Leo Apotheker quote on his main page. ha!