Monday, August 29, 2011

Navy SEALs

I've just finished my third book about US Navy SEALs. I became interested after the news about the SEAL Team 6 soldiers that executed the attack on Osama Bin Laden's compound. I didn't know much at all about SEALs, so I read a few books.

First I read "SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper" by Howard Wasdin. I blogged about that here. Then I read "The Heart and the Fist: The Education of a Humanitarian, the Making of a Navy SEAL" by Eric Greitens. That one was also interesting, and had much less (almost nothing) about the author's childhood and upbringing. It left me with an uneasy sense that he was a snooty privileged sort. Although, it had an astute message, that humanitarian aid can only go so far. Sometimes, forceful intervention is necessary to truly help the populace of war-torn areas.

Lastly, I just finished "The Warrior Elite: The Forging of SEAL Class 228" by Dick Couch. That book follows the soldiers in BUD/S class 228 as they succeed and fail during that grueling training regimen. While it included more details than the other books about BUD/S training, it had nothing about their deployments or operations in the field (like the first book did).

For convenience, here's the informative Wikipedia page about the SEALs.

I think that concludes my fascination with SEALs. At the very least, I'm better informed than before.

2 comments:

Luxembourg said...

I appreciated the chapters about the rough training and the reasons for it ("the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle"), it is amazing the mental fortitude of these warriors which helps them go through, what seems to me, almost superhuman tasks.

Michael said...

I too liked that part of the book. And also noted the importance of mental fortitude (good word). I could never survive that training. But I'm glad there are some who can.