Sunday, March 06, 2011

Rattlesnakes

I got myself a book all about rattlesnakes. "Rattlesnakes of the United States and Canada" is a new book and has loads of color photos and descriptions of many different snakes. Mind you, I don't run into them very often. I'd just like to be a bit more informed, since the down side of being bit is often very devastating. If you don't believe me, just google rattlesnake bite and click images and you'll quickly see what I mean.

The snake I encountered last spring and posted here, was a horned sidewinder and only rates 3 skulls & crossbones.

On previous trips, I've run over several Mojave green rattlesnakes as they were sunning themselves laying across the dirt roads in the morning. Since that snake is MUCH more dangerous, I don't feel too bad about that. Those get 5 skulls & crossbones!

No comments: