Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Two More Books

I finished two more books. First, The Prince by Machiavelli. I listened to the free audiobook version of W.K. Marriott's translation that is available from librivox.org. The book was more interesting than I expected. What I didn't like was the change in readers. People volunteer to read books for librivox and the chapters of this one were read by several different people. Chip, from Tampa Florida, was the best reader. Others were kind of annoying. One guy inserts long pauses for dramatic effect. ugh After I had finished, I noticed that librivox has another version read by a single person. Now I'd like to find a modern book that relates The Prince to modern business practices. I've found a couple on Amazon and I might order one.

I also listened to "The Rational Optimist" by Matt Ridley. I did not enjoy this book. I can't quite put my finger on why. For me, it was boring and I didn't learn anything of interest to me. I suspect that my expectations where inconsistent with the author's intent. Translation: I should have read the descriptions more carefully and thereby avoided the book. My bad.

No comments: