Monday, December 27, 2010

Books

We've had a lot of rain lately, and so I've read a few books. None of them were remarkable, so I'll just list them here.

Trading For a Living by Alexander Elder is an old book offering guidance to the part-time stock trader. Unfortunately, its age renders it almost useless in the context of today's market. OK, to be fair, there are some worthwhile lessons in the book, but none that aren't in almost all modern books on trading.








Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt is assigned reading in many college freshman economics courses. It is one of the seminal works in the Austrian School of Economics. This book was interesting, however I don't agree with all of the messages it offers. While it contains many layman-targeted anecdotes to describe economic theories, they suffer from gross oversimplifications to the point that makes them inconsistent with reality.




The Shibumi Strategy, by Matthew May is an interesting and short book employing a fable to convey many ideas and precepts from Zen Buddhism and Japanese philosophy and apply them to contemporary life. I learned of this new book from Bob Sutton's blog and he highly recommended it. I enjoyed this book. The stubborn rationalist in me is now wondering how and where I might attempt to apply any of its lessons. Here's the author's page for the book.

Next up: The Prince. I've never read Machiavelli's famous book. I have it, but each time I pick it up I get turned off by the ancient grammar and language. So I'll do what I did for Paradise Lost (which posed similar challenges to me). I've downloaded an audiobook version and I'll listen to it.

No comments: