Saturday, June 19, 2010

Colosseum Mine

I visited the Colosseum Mine west of I-15 near the CA-NV border recently. My last visit was about 6 years ago and it's an interesting place. Last year the road to the mine was closed for repairs by the park service. I used their online contact form to ask if it was open and was surprised to get a quick response. The image above is from Google Maps. The next two shots show the road, first looking up toward Clark Mountain, then looking back down toward Primm.



Colosseum Mine road is in good condition and was an easy drive. Easier than my last visit. To balance it out: the spur up to the mine pit was more rugged than my last trip. I don't think my old Acura MDX could have made that without scraping bottom on a lot of rocks.

Colosseum Mine was an active gold mine from 1988 to 1993. As of July 12, 1990, the mine had produced over 170,000 troy ounces of gold. This data comes from an EPA Site Visit Report: Colosseum Mine, which is chapter 3 of "Technical Resource Document - Extraction and Beneficiation of Ores and Minerals" Vol 2 Gold, August 1994, US EPA, Document Nnmbers: EPA 530-R-94-013, NTIS PB94-170-305. They visited the mine site on May 7, 1992.

I'm no geologist and don't understand how cyanide leach mining works, so I don't know why the water is green.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your informative blog. I just visited there on 10/2/11. I don't know if the reeds were there when you visited, but the east side of the basin is shallow and has an abundance of reeds. I feel so lucky for finding such an obscure treasure. Such a great place. ORV recommended!