Sunday, May 02, 2010

Hiking Old Dad Mountain

Yesterday I hiked Old Dad Mountain with Luke and Gene. This is a 4252 ft peak in the Mojave National Preserve. This google map is centered on the peak and here's the summitpost page for it. I took this shot of Old Dad a few weeks ago from the powerline road to the east.

This shot shows the face we hiked up - I took this back in November.

Here's one taken from the bottom of the face after we got down it.

It was a great day. The temps were in the 70s and there was a light wind. I saw one golden eagle, one rabbit, gobs of lizards, and was buzzed by a small black and white bird that had wings like a swallow. We took about 2 hours going up, then again going down.

The first mile was up the wash, then it's about a half mile up the steep, jagged, lava boulder slope. Here's a shot looking down at the wash shortly after we headed uphill.

The brush was light and the lava rocks provide great traction.

Here are some shots from the summit. This one looks south along the southern ridge with Kelso dunes in the distance.

This one looks southwest toward Sands, showing the sandy powerline road that I drove recently.

The next shot looks northwest and shows Cowhole Mountain jutting up from the desert floor. Luke and I hiked that last year.

I still might try to find a route up the west side of Old Dad some day.

No comments: