Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kingston Wash OHV Trail

Yesterday I drove the Kingston Wash OHV Trail. This is a published BLM trail that winds through the Kingston Range Wilderness Area.

This is an easy scenic trail with a variety of conditions. Even though I say it's easy, I never went above 20 mph due to the embedded boulders and curves around brush.

The drive took about 2.5 hours, unlike Massey's book that said it takes 4 hours. Mitchell's book warns about missing the sharp turn to exit the wash, but that's not a problem now because the BLM has blocked the wash there and signed the turn well.



The trail is well signed with 2 different types of markers, both of which are shown in this photo.

Here's a few more photos of the road conditions.



The wash is wide but the trail wanders around in it.

I got confused twice. Once was just before the mailbox. The tracks went right and I could see other tracks headed left. After pondering my choices, I continued to the right and quickly came to the mailbox.





Once out of the wash, the trail gets even easier.

The best part of this trip was coming upon a pair of golden eagles. Before the mailbox, after I turned a corner I saw aa huge bird takeoff from the ground beside the trail. I stopped and got out, then another one launched from the same spot. Then I got my camera. (yup, i'm not the most prepared for such treats) So I got some shots of the eagles sitting on rocks 80 yards away. Here's a couple pairs of pics (full frame, then zoomed/cropped on the bird).



In this one, the eagle just jumped off the rocks.



I recommend this trail as a scenic alternate route for those returning from Vegas, provided you have 4wd and high clearance. The BLM has a 4.3 MB PDF brochure for the trail.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Very cool! I'm always surprised by how many golden eagles I see here in the desert (I live in Twentynine Palms). A woman my wife knows always comments on how barren the desert is but clearly she has no idea.

michael said...

Thanks for the comments. I agree with you. There's lots to see, if we only slow down and look.