Friday, May 08, 2009

Charlie Manson's Hideout Has Burned

The famed Barker Ranch was discovered to have burned over the weekend. This post from the Panamint Valley forum includes a few photos. I've been there a few times and it's sad to see the fire damage. A lot of people visit the site every year. It would be a shame if it was caused by visitors. Here's the local TV station's story about it. My previous post, with a few photos of my own, is here.

Coincidentally, I was in the area last weekend also. I camped at Wildrose Campground in Death Valley Sunday night with Joe and his wife Jenn. Monday morning we decided to skip the drive through Goler Wash to see the Barker Ranch, and instead drive down to the Trona Pinnacles. Apparently, we also missed a trailer fire on the highway that was reported and photographed by members of the SoCal Land Rover Club during their return from driving the Pleasant Canyon loop. Here's a few links to their photo galleries: link1 and link2. I was pleased to see that their heavy trucks made it over the log bridge up in South Park Canyon.

No comments: