Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pinkham Canyon

This past weekend I decided to drive a couple easy 4wd trails in Joshua Tree National Park; Pinkham Canyon and Berdoo Canyon. Here's the park page that describes their backcountry roads. Maps for these trails and other areas of the park are available on this page.

Pinkham Canyon loops from the southern park entrance visitor center toward the west and then turns south and exits the park. The length is about 20 miles and two of my trail books say that it takes 2.5 hours to drive. It only took me 1.5 hours. It was about 9 am and the weather was nice with the temperature around 70F and no wind. I didn't rush, so I don't know how it would take anybody 2.5 hours.

The trail was pretty easy. It kept my attention because of the constant need to turn the steering wheel. At first, that was to avoid scratches from the brush. Then later the trail endlessly twists through the scrub and then through the canyon. I probably won't drive this one again, but I had to do it just to see what it was like.

I'll just post some photos of the trail. Most of these were taken through the windshield while I was driving.









This photo shows an ocotillo in bloom. That was a new site for me. Neat red blossoms at the end of the branches.



No comments: