Friday, January 02, 2009

Red Canyon Trail v2.0

I returned to Red Canyon Trail yesterday. This time I was joined by John and his wife and kids in their new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Continuing the testing of my GoPro camera, I mounted it on top of my sunroof looking forward. Here's a screen cap from the video.



It turned out pretty good, except I'm getting very little audio. I need to read that part of the manual again and try the other audio setting.

The trail was more crowded this time. Twice we had to pull off the road to let a line of ATVs, motocross bikes and rhinos pass by.



We passed 3 trucks loaded with young people. They were sitting on top and standing of the rear bumpers of the trucks, having a blast as they drove over the undulating hills. They waved at my video camera when they saw it attached to the top of my truck.



The trail drive was fun and the weather was great, with a light breeze and temps around 69F. I'm starting to agree with John that the trail does not rate the 4 difficulty rating that Massey gives it. He stayed in 2wd the entire time. That Jeep's quite a capable little off-roader.

We returned to the pile of practice bombs that I saw on the Bradshaw Trail. It's a popular site to visit, based on how many posts and photos I've found on the internet about it.



The bomb casings were stamped: "BOMB BODY BDU-45 500 POUNDS". According to this site, the BDU-45 is a Navy practice bomb. Here's a diagram I found on the web:



After climbing over the pile-o-bombs, the kids found a tarantula. He was alive and walked around a bit. I don't know any games to play with a tarantula. Maybe "where's the cricket?" But I didn't have a cricket, so we couldn't have played that game anyway.





Since there was a little wind, we decided to try flying the kites. Mine got aloft easily but didn't last long because the light wind would die down often. John finally got his small parafoil kite up and taught me how to control it.



Again, the light and sporadic winds were our biggest enemy. While we were there flying kites, a group of motocross bikers rode up and stopped to look at the bomb casings. Here's a shot of the colorful side of the parafoil kite.



Before getting back on the highway, we drove about a mile north to get a look at one of the open concrete-lined canals of the Colorado River Aqueduct. I got some nice photos before the sun set. The canal was practically full and the water was moving swiftly. I read that this aqueduct carries 1.3 million acre-feet of water per year. That averages down to 2.47 acre-feet per minute (805,000 gallons/minute).





All in all it was a fun time. Now, I must find a more challenging trail so John can actually try out the Jeep's 4wd capability.

No comments: