Saturday, July 05, 2008

Tuolumne Meadows is Alive with Mosquitos!

I just returned from several days camping up at Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite NP. It was great! But more about that in some future post. The meadows region is chock full of mosquitos right now. I was warned of this by Joe, who was up in that area a week ago and apparently became a walking buffet for the little bugs!

The first sign of mosquitos appeared while waiting the 3 minutes in line at the entrance booth at Tioga Pass. I had the windows open (hey, it was a great day) and within a minute I had many buzzing guests trying to light on my arms. But thanks to Joe, I was prepared, and set upon a daily ritual of slathering on the insect repellant. It was clear that I didn't have enough of my Deep Woods Off wipes, so I bought some Cutter mosquito wipes at the TM store. They were doing a brisk business in that product, and it also contains DEET, but not as much as the OFF product.

I'm please to report that I have a grand total of 5 mosquito bites. My ritual bathing in DEET made me start to think ... since it's supposed to be toxic, I was hoping for some mutant super powers. Unfortunately, the wikipedia page fails to mention super powers among the toxic side effects, only seizures and death. ... Swell.

2 comments:

Joe said...

I'd like to see how effective picaridin is. It's an alternative to DEET that is suppossed to be just as effective, but doesn't irritate the skin or cause seizures.

michael said...

I haven't tried any that use picaridin. Please let me know if you do, and how well they work.