Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Racetrack Playa

After driving up Lippincott Road, I stopped off at the Racetrack Playa to take some photos. I've only been there once before and it was over 100 deg then. This time it was much cooler, as you can imagine from the photos.

I lucked out and got there just as a lumbering rain cloud was drifting northward over the playa. The sun was coming down from the south and that helped to light up the playa and make for some nice contrast. These are only a few of the photos I took, and these have been shrunk in file size so they are easier to view in this blog.

I took a lot more photos that didn't turn out so well ... they showed clearly how I failed to hold the camera horizontal. I went on a week day in order to minimize the number of tourists trapsing out there and getting in my shots. I saw only 2 other vehicles there and didn't see any people. It was too early in the day for me to camp at the Homestake dry camp site, so I decided to move on.

Even though it was sprinkling rain, my shots of Teakettle Junction turned out fairly well. I considered returning by Hidden Valley and Hunter Mountain road, but instead drove north to Ubehebe. That road was in excellent condition, far better than when my previous drive down it.

1 comment:

Joe said...

I love the contrast on those photos. Very nice.