Sunday, December 30, 2007

Steve Martin's Latest Book

I just finished the latest book by Steve Martin titled "Born Standing Up - A Comic's Life". It currently has 4.5/5 stars from 68 Amazon reviewers. I listened to the unabridged audiobook version that was read by the author. This book chronicles Steve Martin's youth, how he got into standup comedy, and his transition into movies. I really enjoyed his standup comedy when I was young and so I was looking forward to this book. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. To be fair, some parts of the book did make me laugh out loud. And I was certainly surprised at the extreme disfunctional nature of his young family life. I think I was hoping for more. More material. More information about his life as an actor, and then an author. This book leaves off with his movie The Jerk, which was later followed by many more films. I really would have been interested to hear his thoughts about the different fields he has excelled in (comedy writing, standup comedian, film actor, playwright, and author). The book does include a fine explanation of why he left standup comedy and never returned.

No comments: