Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I recently finished the last of the Harry Potter books. Those are great audiobooks, thanks largely to the fantastic vocal performance of Jim Dale. This last book didn't fail to impress me with very imaginative story telling and a lot of tiny details about insignificant things. I'm not sure if the books would be better, or worse, if those little details were absent. But I am certain that I enjoy the detailed construction of vivid scenes that those details help convey. All told, I did enjoy the book. It's not my favorite, but I'll definitely listen to it several more times. The only criticism that I want to note is that the epilogue left me disappointed by the absence of information about what happened to many characters. The epilogue was unlike most chapters in that way. It did include satisfying hints at the outcomes of several plot lines, such as the marital and family status of Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. But it left out so much more. It was also relatively short. This all makes me suspect that it was rushed to meet some publishing deadline, or simply so JK Rowling could finally wash her hands of it all.

I was disappointed to not find out: what happened to Mr. and Mrs. Weasely; who raised Ted Lupin; what happened to George Weasely and the joke shop; did Hermione retrieve her parents from Australia and restore their memories; what happened to the Hogwarts professors; what jobs did Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny take; did Harry return to live in the Black house; is Creature still serving Harry; and more.

No comments: